I’m trying to help a friend promote their business blog, but it is rough going. I think they didn’t realize it would be so much work just making a blog worth promoting.
So here is my pre-promotion checklist.
- Focus: have a specific topic for your blog and keywords for that topic that you sew naturally into every posting. Put these in a txt file and have it open whenever you post to remind you, until it becomes second nature.
- Decent Branding: Make your blog stand out from the crowd – in a good way, please, so people will remember it.
- Tags: Use them.
- RSS: Make sure this is available for your blog.
- Titles: Make it catchy, but not so catchy that it stops describing what you blogged about.
- Time & Consistency: I like to wait until there’s at least a couple months of consistent postings before I send a blog out into the world. (This really depends on the kind of blog it is.)
- Other Related Content: Gather a list of other resources; links, pdfs, videos, etc. that you can add to your blog. Some say that this is sending your visitor somewhere else, but I see it differently: sending a visitor to a good resource will get them to check back to your blog for more good resources.
- Professionalism: I feel so silly saying this, but please remember to spell check your work and proof it carefully before publishing.
See? That wasn’t so bad, now was it?